View Single Post
Old 07-10-19, 10:34 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
If you have this much trouble at home, just imagine the trouble you would have with a flat 20 miles away. If you can't mount the
tire with simple tools, consider returning it and trying some other tire. My recumbent is a bear to put tires on, usually a 30 min
cussing match. I once broke two plastic tire tools trying to get a Bontrager tire off a Bontrager rim when I was a tour guide for
a tourer with a new bike. Lubing the tire edge with soap concentrate (eg one of those motel give aways that is small enough to
put in the bag) can help a lot. I have a Park tire mount tool that anchors to the hub (no longer sold) but rarely use it as I realize
if that is the only way to get the tire on I will be SOL with a flat out on a ride.

Rumrunns methods are sound but not what you want to carry on a ride...
My carry around tool of choice is the Pedro tire lever for overall strength. Park type are nice but over time the curved end that
hooks under the bead tends to straighten out and they are not as beefy as the Pedro variant. Park has a steel core/plastic surround
tool that might provide the leverage needed without buggering of the rim edges like all steel tools do.

The real problem with really tight tire/rim combos is getting that last bit of tire bead over the rim edge without pinch cutting the
tubes. Really annoying to finally get the tire mounted only to find the tube has a pinch cut.

Last edited by sch; 07-10-19 at 10:40 AM.