View Single Post
Old 11-14-19, 07:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
Our office purchased, to travel between office buildings, a $100, 21 speed hybrid bike from a discount store . By now it was a couple years old and sitting inside our cubicle farm. Never having a need to use it, I stumbled across it and noticed it was functionally a mess. Two flat tires, untrue wheels, inoperative front brakes, and yet as clean as it was new. After hearing how others have worked on it and no one had a presta valve pump, for the last year, the bike has been just taking up space. I decided to take it home and try and bring it back to life.

Rear axle was loose, bottom bracket was loose (at first I thought the peddles were broken), crank arms bolts were not torqued down (only hand tight). brake pads were improperly aligned, and the derailleurs needed adjustment. And lastly, the wheels needed to be trued. I invested 2-2.5 hours diagnosing and repairing. I needed no parts, though one brake pad was worn so lopsided, rather than replace it, I filed it to level the surface.

After, getting it to a reasonable working state, I found on the Web, a video review of a bike purchased from a discount store. The reviewer had to essentially reassemble the bike to use it. I then realized that my office bike was never assembled properly, and people just rode & accepted it. A proper assembly could have cost maybe $30-$40? I also learned there is a reason it is $100. We had purchased a set of inexpensive parts attached for delivery and never assembled properly.

Returning the bike to my office, I was asked it it worked? I mentioned that it now stops, as well as goes.
You performed a mechanical mitzvah. A potentially rideable bike, left in an unrideable state is a sin...even a $100 department store bike.

And now that it is in working order, f the bike still doesn't get used, or is underused, perhaps it could be given to a deserving employee's kid or donated to a charity for the less fortunate.

Good job!
Likes For BobbyG: