View Single Post
Old 05-11-19, 09:07 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 85 Posts
That is good for a ride like that, nice.

TLDR - I’m not doing low carb as a fad weight loss attempt.

Now the TMI part:

I’m trying low carb because I think my body is somewhat insulin resistant, hence my type 2 diabetes. With my cycling and 20# weight loss over the last 5 years I’ve cut my metformin dosage by 75%. But I’ve not been under 200# since 1977, and given my historical diet, weight (was 275 in 1999-2000, low carb got me down 35# then) and family history of type 2 (mother) i need to try something. Things have been pretty stable for the last 3 years which is good, but can I do better? From my research it seems my body likely has enough insulin, in fact carbs and sugar elevating it make my cells less sensitive to it, so then the blood glucose stays up, which then triggers more insulin. Perhaps aggravating it is my standard weekday breakfast of a protein shake and banana. Whey protein apparently has a direct insulin producing effect on the pancreas, which lowers blood glucose. But what if glucose is not the real issue, but instead insulin resistance? Then the answer is not to lower the glucose but address what is causing it to elevate.

It’s complicated and confusing, and I’m a bean counter, not a dr or nutritionist, so it is challenging to research. And there is lots of conflicting information, so I have to read everything with a critical eye. It’s amazing how many articles from “reputable” sources will make a statement about the cause/effect of something with no footnote or other cite to some data to back it up. In my business when someone asks a question, I provide my answer with a cite to applicable law and/regulations.

I’m hoping to find something that has a positive impact. And this stuff all correlates with high blood pressure, which I also have and has been completely immune to improvement from cycling.