View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 07:38 AM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Proscar is something not mentioned for benign prostate enlargement. 10 years ago or so there was some controversy about it in the medical community about taking it and prostate cancer. The problem, according to my "read" is that it didn't/doesn't cause cancer but hides it and hides a particularly aggressive type. Mainly it hides it by giving you a low PSA reading. A more recent study (last year or two) indicated proscar wasn't any worse or better with regards to prostate cancer. A couple of other downsides is that it takes up to 6 months to work. Also if you're a blood donor, you need to stop taking it 30 days ahead of time. The main upside is that it actually helps to shrink the prostate and a side bonus is possible regrowth of hair.

The above said, I've been taking it for several months. I've noticed no side affects. The "flow" is significantly better but it took about 3 to 4 months to get there. Supposedly if I stop taking it the benefits could last up to around a year. Since, what I've read says (mentioned above), if you donate blood you need to stop taking it 30 days ahead of time. Combine that with it possibly giving you a false low PSA while taking it, I'm going to stop taking it 30 days before my next checkup around October. I have to discuss that with my Dr. but my reasoning (right or wrong) is if I stop taking it 30 days ahead of time, based upon being able to donate blood after that, then it would be out of my system and I'd get a true or at least truer PSA reading. That is conjecture on my part and, again, something I need to talk with the Dr. about when the time comes. My PSA has always been low to start with.