canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Thanks for that; I have little girly arms and I can't micropump past 70psi.
I had to modify my pump style after my right shoulder (strong arm) was broken and dislocated two years ago. Since then I use my right arm only to brace the butt of the pump against my chest. I don't push. I pull the pump end, and entire wheel, toward my body using the stronger left bicep. It's more of a natural lifting type motion we'd use lifting a suitcase or any heavy bag. The short hose makes it easier to control -- I wrap a finger around a spoke to balance and control the wheel.

Even though I've recovered from that injury, I've kept the same pumping method. It just turned out to be much more ergonomically efficient than pushing the pump, using the weaker triceps, shoulder and chest muscles. (Although I do a lot of pushups, it's still easier to use the naturally stronger biceps.) At 5'11", 150 lbs, I'm no bodybuilder. Not quite skeletal, but I'm not winning any arm wrestling contests. Even when I tried to build upper body muscle it never developed.

It helps to use an efficient pump. I mention the Topeak RaceRockets a lot because they work really well. Remarkably easy to pump considering the size, with good ergonomics -- rubber grip, rounded end caps. I have both the shorter HP and longer HPX, and both are very good -- outstanding values. The Blackburn Core Slim is just as good in terms of stroke effort and efficiency, but less ergonomically friendly, with no rubbery grip and hard metal edged end caps. I wrap a glove or bandanna around the end cap. Very little volume per stroke, so it takes 200-300 strokes to pump to riding pressure, around 60-90 psi. But each stroke is manageable.

In contrast I have a "Pro Bike Tools" mini-pump that resembles a Lezyne, with detachable hose and built in gauge. It looks really well designed and made. But it's very difficult to use, requiring much more effort per pump than the Topeak. I can't get any tire properly inflated with that pump, which is convertible between Presta and Schrader (I thought maybe it'd be better with higher volume, lower pressure tires but it's not great on my errand bike hybrid either). I'd be disappointed if I'd paid for that pump, but I found it along the roadside. I'll probably give it away -- probably to a bigger guy with big guns, preferably someone I don't really like.