View Single Post
Old 12-22-08, 09:34 AM
Krystal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The big stuff

I've done LOTS of short cyclo-touring and cyclo-camping 3 to 5 days out self supported, and short tours. This is all in anticipation of 2011 when my youngest goes to college and I can hit the road long term.

I have a 2006 Trek 520... I also have a 1990 Trek 520

(bike set for a day of cyclo-touring)
I changed up MANY things on this bike for touring and can go into detail if anyone wants to know. This bike is great for paved touring or fire-road type touring. I will not take it to South America though - despite all I've done to it there just isn't enough tire clearance for bigger nobby tires and fenders. (bummer)
I use Nitto Campee Front and Rear racks

I've used lots of different racks and these are my fav. Nitto racks are beautiful and very well made. I can remove the lower pannier holders and leave the lighter useful racks on. I love how low and centered the front and back panniers are on the bike. There is lots of argument about the usefulness of getting the rear bags low - I've ridden both ways and there is a big difference to me in handling and perceived weight on the bike. These racks can attach to the braze-ons OR to the brakes - I use the brakes for a more robust attachment. You can get these at Velo-orange.com

There are many choices out there for panniers, or trailers, or even xtracyles now (I have turned my old 520 into an Xtra) but I use Ortlieb bags and would not change. Simple - waterproof - bullet proof hardware - lighter then most other bags - put them on and hit the road - you never have to think about them. Your stuff will stay dry in a monsoon. I live in the South - sweltering hot, humid summers, and I cyclo-camp right through the worst of it. I know some argue that the waterproof bags will "sweat" on the inside or grow mold or something. I think these people are "assuming" this will happen, It never has. If something is wet it goes into its own bag or on the rack to dry. That's a no brainer. I've never had a moments trouble with these bags. Get them from Wayne at TheTouringStore.com lowest price and great guy.
I would love to get into a more detailed discussion about any of this stuff or other kit - stoves - tents - wool clothing etc. if interested.