View Single Post
Old 01-19-20, 07:49 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Dutch Bicycles

I happened upon a reference to Dutch style bikes and started reading on line material about them. For no particular reason other than a general love of bicycles I am attracted to bikes I see from Amsterdam Bicycles, actually made in Holland.

I am no expert on components or bike geometry and I am curious if there are any bikes sold by major American bike companies that would be virtually the same thing. I looked at Giant, Trek and Specialized so far and to my uneducated eye do not see anything like that. My interest in major US companies is based only on the convenience of getting warranty work done at a LBS.

I am thinking I could just take a comfort bike and add a Brooks saddle, fenders and a rear rack and the only thing lacking would be the internal hub gears, but that would itself be a big difference, not that I have ever ridden an internal hub gear bike.

Any comments on what makes a Dutch bike a "Dutch Bicycle", and what major bike brand might be similar?

This kind of bike would be for slow, sight seeing rides with my wife on paved bike paths. Well, that's the theory anyway; actually it would just be to have an excuse to get another bike and something about the Dutch bikes intrigues me.
Likes For spinconn: