davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless
I'm going to build something similar to this.
https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Urban-Fr...2128584&sr=8-1

So, it's not as large as the one referenced in this thread, but it will have the ulock holder. It'll be supported from the upper fork eyelets and from brackets on the handlebar.

I've done a lot of projects with copper pipe, including a basement picture rail that has no issues with 7lbs+ guitars hanging from it. So, I'm not worried about strength. The weight will be a bit more than aluminum, but that will counterbalance my rear-heavy bike with an internal-hub, rack and usually fully loaded panniers.

Copper isn't THAT expensive. You can get 1/2" three-way tee fittings on Amazon, 25 for $14 and that's most of the material right there. I already have those and a lot of leftover lengths of 1/2" tube as well, but I would only need to buy less than $10 if I didn't. I have the elbow fittings already but they aren't as expensive as the tee fittings. I don't have a torch, so $8 more for a JB Weld (epoxy). So, this would cost about $40, if I had to buy everything. This assumes you have a cheap pipe cutter or hacksaw already. However, I already have most of the parts so this will cost me about a few bucks and I'll be able to custom fit it to my bike. I simply couldn't find a rack that connects to the upper fork eyelets, has a ulock holder and mounts above my existing dynamo powered headlight which occupies the fender bracket. I'm really into re-use/re-claiming/ re-purposing and I think it will look pretty cool.

Sounds awesome! And regarding the weight, based on what you said it's probably a net win, and if you're running an IGH you can stand to take on some front-end weight. My dad was a steel fabricator and routinely made stuff he didn't have or wasn't available. I am eager to see how yours works out! If you're ever in Spokane bring your bike and we'll go for a ride! I'll look you up next time I am in PDX with my bike

PS - I was just curious on the weight thing. I like lightweight stuff but I ride a 35 lb steel bike so by no means I am I a weight weenie!!
Likes For davei1980: