Old 06-07-10, 02:47 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Can Wolber Profil 20's handle a 2 cross or radial spoke pattern, stregnth-wise??

I'm psyching up and getting ready to build up my next wheelset, and I'm getting into uncharted (for me) territory with what I'm planning.
The hubs will be the Stronglight Delta 28H, ones I recently posted on this forum and Velobase, and the rims will be Wolber Profil 20's, 28H, 700Cs ("Titane Chrome Magnesium").
I've been biking with wheels of mostly 36 and 32 spoke, 3 cross pattern all my life and after gingerly crossing the 36/32 spoke line back in the 80's (really thought the 32 spoke wheels would eventually kill me), I'm now faced with the same situation on what is doable for a a bike that will do enough miles but not raced.
Has anyone experienced any cracking with the Wolber Profil 20 rims at 2 cross spoke pattern? Should I dare and try to do a radial front pattern with a 2 cross rear wheel at 28 spokes? Will the materials on the said classic hubs and rims be up to tht job, specially with the rims just having single eyelets? Please advise.
BTW, I'm usually pretty easy on wheels (avoids all ruts and potholes as much as possible. Only suffered one serious ding on a front wheel since I started biking in the 80's), and my weight hovers around 155 - 160#

Chombi