Old 06-13-10, 08:27 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Issac
Profil 20 is tubular right? Seemed like it was. Pretty beefy tubular for the day, aero section, no eyelets. The profil 18 was the racer rims, the 20 stronger and deeper. I see no reason not too do what ever 0 or 2 cross. Radials just not that good IMO when you can do 2x and get better.
Yes the Profil 20's were the slightly beefier tubular aero rims from Wolber. At 19mm wide, they still are pretty narrow and the deletion of eyelettes definitely helped keep off some weight. The 18s did not carry as deep an aero section as many also considered their shape as "semi-aero". Many also considered the 18s as very very narrow rims, so they might be more at the edge of rim design, in terms of stregnth and weight. What I really like from the 20's though is they sure give a more full aero look to a wheel with their deep profile.
I bought spokes for the wheelset build up this weekend from my LBS who I deal with regularly for my classic bike projects. The owner/manager agreed that the Profil 20s are beefy enough to handle 2 cross without any problems, so I'm doing 2 cros on both front and rears. One thing that did surprise me though, were the cost of are spokes. Went for the oval sectioned "Aerolite" spokes from DT, a company that I had trusted through all the years I've been biking. Real nice stuff, but dang, they cost a lot of money.....but I went for them anyway. I figure I might as well do the build the way I personally would want to do it and go with the spokes I feel most comfortable with. Also confirmed with the LBS owner that it would be OK to run with nipples directly on the eyelette-less spoke holes on the rims. He noted that I could add on washers if I want to, but he does not think it's neccessary as he showed me a few high priced wheelsets he had that doesn't too. We did agree to pass on the aluminum nipples that the Aerolite spokes comes with and go instead with brass nipples as they will less like tend to bind up against the aluminum rim holes when applying tension to the rims.
I'll post up some updates on the wheel build as it happens.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 06-13-10 at 08:34 PM.