Old 05-20-19, 10:17 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo
Do you wear a helmet? Always or just for certain types of rides? What to keep in mind while shopping for one? Aldi has one for $18 right now. I don't usually wear one but I'm slow touristy nature looker. The meet- ups groups require a helmet for group rides. Most of you wear one all the time?
Yes, I always wear a helmet, today, but I did not in the 20th century. Since June 2016, I ride adult tricycles, but in the 1970's through 1999 I rode bicycles and motorcycles.

In 1991 a car hit me while riding a motorcycle; I t-boned the car at 55 MPH, flew 100 feet through the air landing on my unprotected head. I was in a coma 90 days, a season. Living with a brain injury is both good and bad... In 1991, California did not have a motorcycle helmet law, but in 1992 they did. So I was wearing a novelty helmet in my 1999 motorcycle accident. It smashed into pieces, so for protection I'd also recommend a safety approved helmet. I did not ride since 1999, until 2016. Reasons included living in an urban city where it was not safe, in my opinion, to practice riding in the streets. When I finally started riding a bike again, my brain injury had progressed during the last 28 years, so today I ride an adult tricycle because of the balance issues. I've tipped three different adult tricycles in the past three years - they are sturdy, but require slowing down for turns, and a few times I did not slow down enough. I did not need a helmet in those tips, but I like the feeling of wearing one anyway - hopefully to prevent further brain injury.
Likes For beach_cycle: