davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Plastic pedals with metal pins like Raceface Chesters or similar would be sensible, and checking to see if the bike needs any maintenance (worn chain, etc). Other than that it seems to meet your needs, so why mess with it?

Upgrades to working parts are usually a poor use of money unless you have a pretty concrete complaint you want to resolve. For what it's worth, pretty much the only other thing that comes to mind that could sensibly improve the bike would be high end, high TPI tires with tread well suited to your riding terrain (sounds like you could probably get away with relatively low profile tread), although for best value you can wait until yours actually need replacing.
Tires + touch points (pedals, like you suggest) are usually the biggest bang for the buck.
For tires, I usually replace the rear when it wears down with the EXISTING front tire and put the new rubber up front (so I have the newest tire in front, which is more important because it does more to keep you alive)

Then when the rear wears out it gets the new one (usually front isn't worn down by then)

I have found this to be a very economical way to replace tires. And yes - hi-TPI + widest the OP can fit in the frame will be a good place to start!