View Single Post
Old 09-15-20, 05:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
It's been a dozen or so years since I was last on a boat. Owned a 22-footer for puttering about the bay, about 30yrs ago. Learned on small "Sunfish" type and other 10-14ft sailboats.

Something more my speed, these days -- for just 3-5 "bills" ... a Cherubini 48' Schooner:

That'll just about do.
My wife and I lived on a sailboat at Channel Islands harbor in the mid seventies through the eighties. We moved to dry land in 1990. In the early years they had schooner races every year and we would sail out to Anacapa Island and watch the schooners round the east end. From there it was a broad reach to the harbor so most of the schooners would set a gollywobler for the ride home. What a beautiful sight to watch those 50-65 foot sleds set the sail and take off. My 35 foot Ericson with a tri-radial spinnaker couldn't come close to catching one of those on a broad reach. Now, going to weather on a light day was a different story! Many years on the ocean sailing our Ericson with bikes chained to the shrouds as our transportation(no car). When we went to the islands we would take the bikes to my shop and hitch a ride back to the boat. In those days, we had communal cars that the dock rats (us) shared. Good memories of a much simpler time.
Likes For Kabuki12: