Old 09-15-20, 11:50 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My wife and I lived on a sailboat at Channel Islands harbor in the mid seventies through the eighties. We moved to dry land in 1990. In the early years they had schooner races every year and we would sail out to Anacapa Island and watch the schooners round the east end. From there it was a broad reach to the harbor so ...
Did sailing all around the Channel Islands, back when. Before everything got crowded and, um, different. Parked at Forney Cove (on the western end of Santa Cruz) once for a couple of days, feasting on Abalone and halibut. Made it out to Santa Rosa, then spent the night riding out a gale. Looked out across at San Miguel but decided against it. Kept off-shore of Anacapa, watching all of the wildlife. Overnighted at Santa Catalina, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. Loved the lifestyle, but never did do the "bluewater / live-aboard" thing.

Lovely spot of the world, out there.

What was your boat back in the '70s, by the way? Clearly large enough for two to live 10+ years and survive it relatively intact.

It's interesting to watch the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race, and the RORC Caribbean 600, among others. Those Cherubini 48s have logged races at better than 12kt average, and won their class. Would love to have one built, though they're well north of $2M these days. Can be found on the pre-owned market in the $300-500K range, now and then. Always seems to be at least one of them for sale. So far as I know, nine have been made over the years. Not many, but they seem to take a lickin' and keep on tickin', so to speak. Not exactly priced like a Sunfish, or Lido 14, or Hobie Cat, to be sure.