Old 03-09-12, 09:52 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Finding Hilton Wrigley: Chapter Two

Finding Hilton Wrigley: Chapter Two

Even today, I learn new things. I am especially pleased to be learning more about Hilton Wrigley, the man. The guy who built these lovely frames. But the details of that will wait. For now, the story is about actually getting my hands on my very own Wrigley frame.

After nearly a year with the refinisher, it was finally time to do something to get it extracted. As luck would have it, my job required/offered me a fast trip to London. When I said fast, they gave me two nights and one full day of meetings. Still, this was the excuse that Norris could use to go prod the finishing work into gear (ANY gear).

The idea was that the frame could be completed and then shipped to my London hotel. I traveled with carry-on only, and figured I could use my UA traveller status to get the frame into luggage for free or cheap. But, nearly a month’s notice wasn’t enough. We were right down to the wire. I still went with only carry-on luggage, and it was still in the realm of possible.

Unbelievable? Norris Lockley, the man and legend, who is no young guy, offers to bring it by overnight bus to London! He literally offers to deliver it, even though I know I’ll be prisoner in a meeting from which I simply could not even step out, and then he would return by evening bus. !!!!! The man. The legend.

I couldn’t accept. Anyway, as the hours drew nigh, it was clear that the frame was short the final clear coat so even the most crazy plan was out. The up side of all this was that I had several hours of an evening telephone chat with Norris, which was a great experience in it’s own right. I flew home without the frame.

THUS, the delivery of the frame was down to the quotidian FedEx, and a truly fabulous packing job by Norris. Small and so safe that it could have been thrown from the cargo bay without damage. I’m pleased to say that it wasn’t, and that it sailed thru customs and was in my living room less than 48 hours after it was picked up from Norris’s house.

SO, without too much more fanfare. . . Some photos.

FIRST: THE GREEN FRAME IS NOT THE SAME FRAME AS THE BLUE ONE FIRST SHOWN IN THE Opening Post.

In the story, it is explained how this trade occurred. Here is the ONLY photo I had of the frame that I now own. The key points to me: It was a 60cm. and it had a good report from Norris regarding its condition. Good enough.

Anyway, here is my only “Before” photo:

And here are a smattering of the frame and fork as delivered. The color varies a bit, with flash and mostly without.

More anon.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)