Thread: Easily Winded
View Single Post
Old 09-12-19, 04:23 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've not had a lot of luck with doctors. People on the forum always seem to swear by their doctors and I guess it's right to get checked out but I usually get told something like "you look good for your age" or one told me last year "well, you are 64". I wanted my heart checked out and the next thing was the insurance denied seeing a cardiologist. Months of that b.s. and I gave up as the symptoms subsided somewhat.

I guess I'm doing ok "for my age".
That sucks! It makes sense to get yourself checked out before there is a problem. Frankly, I think my doc OVER tests me.

Example: I am scheduled for an ultrasound of my carotid artery to see if I am more susceptible to strokes. Why? Because the doc asked if I had any family members who had had a stroke. My brother had, so the protocol is to order the test.

I told him that my brother was (1) morbidly obese (2) diabetic (3) got zero exercise and ate terribly and (4) was taking mega doses of vitamin K to improve his eyesight (it also causes blood clots), but even so, I guess it makes send to do the test.

Typically, you can get expanded testing if you present the right symptoms. If you want a colonoscopy, tell the doc you have seen blood in your stool (who hasn't at one time or another?), and almost all will order one. I suspect there are symptoms you can honestly present to your doc to trigger a better cardio workup.

You might want to consider a CT angiogram with contrast. Using groupons, you can get that for $150-$200. That will give you an indication of the status of your coronary arteries. I had one and it gave me some peace of mind.