View Single Post
Old 09-15-20, 11:12 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by RonE
I have been using the free version of Cyclemeter for Android for about 6-months. I have been very disappointed in its implementation as it produces unpredictable and unrepeatable mileage, speed and position results over the same routes. It seems to miss GPS updates and often shows me riding through back yards and across lakes at 50MPH max speeds. A riding partner has seen similar issues. I have not encountered similar behavior on any other biking applications. I wonder why my experience with Cyclemeter appears to be different from several others in this thread.
Huh, yeah, interesting. I use the free version - I start a ride, lock the screen, and stick the phone in my jersey. So I generally don't look at it while I'm riding, which helps battery consumption, I guess.

I find that the elevation numbers tend to vary, as well as the distance. But only by about small percentages, nothing that makes me want to give up using it. One ride back in May was measured at 9.08 miles, and then a few days later, it came out as 9.21. And the elevation ascent was measured as 758' on one day, but then 941 feet on the next ride. Kind of weird, but I just average everything out.