View Single Post
Old 02-05-15, 08:21 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
The main reason is to wrap his mind around the problem. From what I can tell, he suspects his doc might be trying to optimize something that is not in his best interests such as advocating an excessively conservative approach to prevent slightly reduce the risk of a medical event.

A cycling list might be a bad place to get medical advice, but it's not as bad a place to get ideas for how to wrap your mind around the problem and what questions to ask. For example, your reply contains helpful information which could guide questions as well as an approach for talking about things with the cardiologist. A lot of medical advice is aimed at people for whom activity is not a priority (or even something that they want to avoid if necessary). So people who do consider it an objective in and of itself regardless of health benefits might have an angle worth thinking about.
Sure, I apologize if my criticism sounded a little rough. I was just trying to point out how important the relationship between the patient and the cardiologist is in situations like this. He really needs to be fine tuning his meds with his doctor. After a heart attack, trusting your cardiologist is paramount. If he doesn't, then he should get another one. When I had my attack (riding, by the way on the wheel of a gorgeous female cyclist), I was treated at a suburban hospital. They saved my life, but after a botched stent placement procedure, I lost confidence in the cardiology practice there and moved to the main Texas Medical Center/Texas Heart Institute, where I should have been all along. It has been clear sailing since.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...