Old 09-10-16, 10:05 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Fuji Opus III - I lucked out today! - Pic Heavy

Well, as if I don’t have enough vintage steel in the house. This 1985 Fuji Opus popped up in the local classifieds right before I was heading out for long ride today. So instead I made a long 200 mile round trip to pick this up. The asking price was fair and looking at the pics it seemed to be in good shape.

I got down to see the bike and it was in really nice shape. The guy had got it from the original owner at an estate sale, cleaned and tuned it up, and then listed it. The only obvious thing with it is the tires are old. They look good and still feel supple but I can see cracks. So I’ll swap those out before I take it out tomorrow. It appears to me mostly stock. The saddle isn’t, the wheelset isn’t and it’s got a 7 speed on the back. It even has what appears to be the original frame pump on it!
I’m fine with the wheels as I figured I’d have to change out the tubular setup if it was stock. Funny thing is it’s the 3rd very nice vintage ride I’ve picked up that appears to have come from Fishers Cycles in SLC. The Giordana Antares and the Greg LeMond all originally came from there also. In fact this bike has the exact same white and red bottle cage that came with the Giordana.

I weighed the bike at 22 lbs 14 ozs as you see it in the pics below. With the proper tubular wheelset and original saddle it probably does come close to the catalog weight of 21 lbs. The reflectors have to come off for sure.

The guy I got the bike from did go over it. All bearings, hubs, etc have been serviced. That’s a nice plus too. I’ll get it out tomorrow and see how it rides. Then I’ll need to source a saddle for it. I’m thinking a brown Brooks Swallow will look sweet on this and I know that saddle will work for me.

And now the pics. Most of the “scratches” in the surface are actually cat hair from the blanket I covered the bike with in the Jeep, oops. And sorry if they are not very sharp. I set a PR on my 23 mile route with the Schwinn Circuit right before I shot these. My old body was wasted and shaking a bit still.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-11-16 at 04:46 PM.