View Single Post
Old 05-26-19, 03:01 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Add a brake booster too.

Originally Posted by surak
Thanks for the responses. I will try the shotgun approach of getting new pads, longer link wires, and fresh cables plus compressionless housing (not sure how much compressionless will help since there's not much housing in my brake line runs, but I can use it for my upgrade of a Spyre caliper for HY/RD on my road bike anyway).
I didn't see anyone suggest adding a brake booster. Sorry if I happened to miss it. I had significant cantilever post flex on my Cannondale rear brake, so I added a booster to prevent the canti posts and seatstays from flexing outward. I use the DKG booster and it greatly reduces flex, if not eliminates it, and improves hard braking performance. But you'll have to scour the web for them used. Note that the booster is still a good idea even if you've improved braking performance because when you hit rain, you're going to have to apply a LOT more braking force to stop with wet pads & rims!