smudgy

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Surly Troll, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
All,

I know there are riders here that have made videos of their trips so I am hoping to gain some insight from you.

I am also hoping this thread might be a general "tips and tricks" thread for those of us that are doing some video production of our trips - to what ever level.

My question at the moment is on helmet cams and footage. I took about a 10 minute video segment and have been playing with playback speed. Because the camera is mounted on the helmet and my head doesn't stay still the footage floats all over the place. No matter what playback speed I use - the footage moving around all over, to me, looks like viewers would have an awfully hard time watching it.

My goal isn't to use the whole 10 minute or so segment, I am only using it as a sample to work with until I can form a process that comes out OK.

At the moment - the only way I can think of to stop the "motion problem" is just that - stop the video and use still frames, then stretch the frame time out to like 10 seconds or so.

What say all? Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

Since this is my first attempt at an actual "video" on a trip it is somewhat an experiment. To that point - after-the-fact, as I am going through the footage, one idea I do have is to mount the camera on a mast. I am sure the shaking of the ride would still show up in the camera (I don't have one that has very good image stabilization at the moment - maybe in the future), however the mast idea would curb the issue of the footage floating around every which way I move my head. So that may be a "start" in the right direction.
Some editing programs have the ability to stabilize unsteady or shaky video. I use Adobe Premiere Elements. When I use my GoPro, I have it mounted on the bike instead of on my body. I think there is less shake.