View Single Post
Old 09-24-20, 04:49 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Huret Dropouts

A picture is worth a thousand guesses....

no67el , et al

The proprietary Huret dropouts had the forward travel stop at 4:00 O'clock. Campy compatible hangers have stops at 7:00 O'clock.

The neck of the Huret hanger was thick enough so that Simplex derailleurs wouldn't fit without some slight modification to the hanger. The threads in the hangers were 10mm x 1mm so most derailleurs with a universal mounting bolt could screw in to the hole. Campy 10mm x 26 TPI bolts are so close to 1mm pitch that they're almost identical.

In 1961 Simplex introduced the travel stop tab design that fits over the front of the hanger. Over time the design was was copied by most derailleur makers including Shimano. Crane RDs have this feature.

A Crane RD may or may not fit on a Huret dropout without any modification. I'll have to dig out a 1974 Moto Grand Jubile frame that I have that has Huret dropouts and check it out.

Eventually Huret made some dropouts that had a notch for the stop tab. I've never seen one in the steel but here's a picture.

By 1977 Huret was making dropouts to the Campy style de facto world standard.

The early Suntour VGT derailleurs shift a little better than the Crane GS but the Shimano derailleurs have a more solid feel.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-24-20 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For verktyg: