Old 01-03-21, 08:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
There's lots of environmental and work safety pressure to eliminate the use of cyclohexamine, and there are alternative chemistries that work just as well. the zinc thiocarmates require an activator, which is usually stearic acid, or zinc oxide in combination with stearic acid. None of these require use at levels that show up on SDS, because the SDS is about work place and transport safety, not reverse engineering the trade secrets of products.
The link I provided goes into the chemistry pretty extensively (I’m still working through the article). It does seem to be about hot vulcanization rather than cold. But it appears that stearic acid and zinc oxide would have to be used but that is seems to be for natural rubber. There are about 150 different accelerators and stearic acid and zinc oxide seem to be the most innocuous of the bunch. Apparently there are about 50 that are commonly used in the rubber industry. The ones listed in the paper are particularly safe and would likely have to be listed in the MSDS.

Zinc oxide, by the way, wouldn’t be in any vulcanizing fluid for patching. It’s not soluble in the organic solvents used in any of the fluids, whether rubber cement or vulcanizing fluid. It seems to be used in the hot vulcanization

I know that the SDS isn’t for reverse engineering a product but it can give valuable information on what’s in a substance.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!