Thread: Found Reynolds
View Single Post
Old 06-21-21, 04:51 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
Well I took it completely apart down to just the frame. Fortunately all the bearings appear to be in very nice condition with no pitting. Even the wheels roll fairly smoothly. At least as smoothly as you’d expect from 40 plus year old French hubs. It has the nutted crank spindle which I don’t like, but the races are shiny and smooth. The crankset is barely used. But god, how filthy. It has that crazy type front deraileur that you pull the lever to shift down to the inner ring. If your cable breaks, you’re stuck with your higher gears. All in all I’m happy with it and intend to put a short alloy stem, alloy North road bars, and possibly my nos Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport deraileurs and shifters, and nice white mudguards. I’m really stoked to ride this bike. I always enjoyed a bike with Reynolds 531 butted tubing! (My third or forth). Pictures coming
That is my favorite fd, for a double. The crispest shifting I've ever experienced. I cannot recall ever breaking a shifter cable out on the road. Give it a try before nixing it out of hand.
Nice pickup. Well worth $90, imo.