Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

Surly Pugsley makes an awesome dirt/gravel road touring machine. It's also a super fun bike to mess about on closer to home. It can be run with the 4" wide tires which are no harder to pedal that a typical 2.1-2.2" MTB knobby. You can also run 29er MTB rims and any touring/MTB tires you feel like.

My buddy and I rode two fully loaded Pugsleys ~450kms on the CDN GDR last year...longest day was ~140kms uphill over a pass.

Don't let the big wheels fool you these bikes can roll fast and give a very cushy ride on rough roads.
Actually i was indeed eying the pug up, I have wanted one of those since I first saw them. My only concern is that it would be rather complicated to get built and theres zero tire choice with the large marge (to me the point of the pugsley is to use those rims). What is the deal with the special dishing required? is that for any pugsly frame or is it just if you use disk brakes.

Originally Posted by kbabin
Check out www.bikepacking.net. They have write ups on setups and gear.

Kev

Thanks first time I heard of that site... I didnt know there was a name for offroad touring heh.

Originally Posted by chasm54

bloody gorgeous bike, i fear it is a bit more then i want to spend, looking at the $2000 range max... but that frame is certainly on the list!

Originally Posted by slaani
Vintage MTB is also a great way to go. All the braze-ons you need and totally bomb-proof.

yes, that is another option i was considering. I picked up a nice late '80s Japanese MTB from a thrift store for $15 and restored it, it has all the braze ons for racks and 3x bottle holder lol. I have considered stripping the frame and using it. The only thing i dont like is the fact that I cant use disk brakes, also buying new stuff is fun! its still a possibility. i think I will brooks saddlze it and see how it goes.