View Single Post
Old 09-11-14, 03:32 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree with pretty much everything you have to say here. About the only difference is that I probably wouldn't buy a Fargo for any purpose. A good hardtail mountain bike (or softtail like the YBB) will do everything that the Fargo does in all conditions so I don't really see the point of the Fargo. The adjustable dropouts are interesting but they're just another thing to worry about coming loose out in the middle of nowhere.
The Fargo has quite a following. It doesn't speak to me either, but my idea of MTB touring involves very techy riding so I'm not going to use any drop bar bike.

I don't think the dropouts are an issue. I tend to run IGHs and I'm building a SS 2nd wheelset for my touring MTB so some sort of chain tension mechanism is desirable.

I posted the Fargo link because the OP seemed to favour drop bars based on his initial post.

I agree a mountain bike can be quite versatile. I've been riding a rigid steel MTB for the past 2 seasons and it's great for both GDR style chill dirt tours and real singletrack mountain biking.

I think a Fargo style bike helps folks who want to get off the pavement and tour, but are avid drop bar riders find a rig that offers them some familiarity with added options for exploring dirt.