View Single Post
Old 09-11-14, 04:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
I have a 4 piece Sage rod and its sections are ~27" long which is long enough to get in the way when I carry it on my bike's front bag.

A 6 piece rod I was looking at has sections that are 17" or 18" long and as a bonus costs 25% of my Sage rod. So it carries much easier and I'm less concerned about what happens to it when crash or a drag/carry/throw my bike around during bushwacking hike-a-bike moments.

The Orvis 7 piece rod is a tad shorter and priced between the Cabela's model and my Sage.

I've seen Tenkara rods that are around 20" long and even simpler so I may go that route.

My tent poles are ~18" so that's a convenient length to shoot for for my bikey fly rod.
Again, I have no pictures to show you but I carried my rod in front of my sleeping bag with the Relevate Design Harness. It was only slightly longer than my tent and never got in the way. I did carry it in a good case which protected it when I crashed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!