View Single Post
Old 09-15-14, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
OK, now that I have a concept for the bike, next question is tires for this kind of setup.

Any tips? Ideally, something a little wider than a 32c, where I can keep a reasonably low pressure for off-road (50?) and around 80 on the road.
Again, it depends. If you are planning on riding mostly smooth, graded dirt roads or rail trails for example, just about any tire will do. I've ridden 23mm race tires on smooth dirt roads and trails without problems...but you have to ride them carefully and gently to avoid rim damage. I've the Katy Trail in Missouri a couple of times on 32mm tires with a touring load without issue and I've done dirt roads in West Virginia on the same tires. They aren't the best tires (nor are 23mm) if the road goes soft but they work.

If you are planning on touring where there is a lot of sand or the roads are very rocky or where it is likely to be muddy, you probably want to go to a wide tire that provides lots of floatation and/or grip. In other words, you probably want a 50mm tire and probably a knobby. That doesn't work as well on pavement but it works a whole lot better off-pavement. Look at vik's bikes for examples that fit the kind of terrain that he is riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!