Old 07-31-18, 01:49 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jwitt
hello all - new to both this forum and biking after several years. I am a casual rider (3-10 miles) per week looking to enhance to upwards of 20-40 miles per week. Currently riding a 15 year old Raleigh Comfort bike but I am upgrading in the next couple of weeks.
  1. Felt Verza Speed 50 - Rode nice, smooth, fast after minor tweaks to the bike. pedals will take getting used to or swap out, gearing is 3x7
  2. Trek FX2 - smooth ride, fast, liked the gearing 3x8. body position was too upright even after some adjustments.
  3. Giant Escape 2 - did not test ride as it was not in stock, did try the Escape 1 and it was a beauty, just too small and out of my price range.
Any assistance would be appreciated. If the remaining riding season goes well and I continue to ride into the next season, I will be looking up upgrade again. The thought is if I show consistency on a low end bike, that will justify the upgrade in 1.5 years.

Again, any assistance would be appreciated.
Buy a bike you will enjoy riding for at least 5 years. 1.5 years is barely enough time to break a new bike in. I would suggest hold off a little and buy the best bike you can afford, when you can afford it. Something like the Escape 1, the FX3, or the Verza Speed 30.