View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 07:32 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Where we live is near the school, at 1700 ft. But we like to ride up Smith Grade to avoid getting splattered on the road, so it is a bit more net climbing.

She had a ~65% charge when she started back up the hill. On a full charge, it wouldn't have been an issue. I looked on the website and the newer ebikes Specialized has have an app that allows you to input the required distance and it regulates power consumption to ensure you don't consume all the charge. Also, this was a heavy full-suspension bike with 27.5+ 3.0" knobby tires, which would be a huge slog-fest on any hilly road.

Originally Posted by pierce
I live on top of a 300' climb, and when I built my first ebike out of my wife's step-through, I used a 864 W*Hr battery pack and a 1000W rear wheel. so far I've not run it below 50% on test rides. 1000W is insane fast, but it overheats too fast, then becomes 300W, which is plenty. I'm going to try and limit it to 300W and see if its smoother to ride. Using a motorcycle style throttle for now. crude, but effective.
I'm interested to hear more about this. (Edit: Sorry, I just found and read your thread.)

We've got a few bikes we could potentially modify, especially if the main change is just a new rear wheel. (The $7.5K price tag on the bike she demoed is a wee bit out of our discretionary spending budget.) Could your bike make it up to (for example) the fire station at EmpireGrade / Felton-Empire ?

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-23-19 at 08:50 AM.