Old 05-26-19, 12:19 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
....But do any of you see e-bikes as a gateway drug to gas powered dirt bikes, motorcycles, or even electric motorcycles? Much of the target demographic seems to be older riders who want to get back into cycling, so it doesn't seem like it. But there must be some riders who develop a speed addiction as result of riding e-bikes.
My take on this; Seeing this forum is mostly aimed at cyclists ( people who like to pedal ) I think most of the people who ride an ebike are more concerned about just being able to ride and being able to enjoy riding like they used to when all they used to own were regular bikes. I can't speak for others but for me speed has nothing to do with it. What does matter to me is the effort I have to expend in order to ride a bike and still enjoy doing so. I just want something that is a little easier to pedal. Some of the places I used to ride have some monster hills. Because of concerns for my health I had to stop doing those rides. The ebike allows me to do those rides without the worry of killing myself on the big hills.

Sure, sometimes the speed is fun but too much speed on any kind of bike can be dangerous ( especially if you ride a lot at night ). With the e-bike I own the electrical assist cuts off at 20 mph. I can ride faster but then I'm using just my own legs. I now can ride flat areas around 18-20 mph with the same effort I used to ride about 13 mph. On the moderate hill climbs I used to sometimes only poke along at about 5 mph. Now on the same hills I can easily ride twice as fast and when I get to the top I don't feel like I'm completely drained. I'm just happy I can ride again. For me speed is not a major issue.

If I had my wish I'd lose about thirty pounds. Back in the day I used to be able to lose weight without too much effort. Once I reached my mid forties all of that changed. I still dream of finding the right diet program that has me losing the weight I need to lose. Not just for the sake of cycling but for my over all health concerns. In the mean time I can't do some of the things I used to love. My mind is willing but I no longer have the fitness level or energy level I used to have when I was younger. Such is life when you get older. We all get older and at some point your body changes enough that riding under your own power just becomes prohibitive. Sucks that it happens. Also sucks that it takes the fun out of riding. If you ride an e-bike you may never again return to riding a regular bike but at least you can still continue to ride and if that riding gives you pleasure....more power to you.