View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 02:02 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I'm an aging 40-something Gen X-er who has been married 15 years, and I can't agree more with the statements above. Though I do often see other marriages, usually in older couples, that don't conform to these concepts of mutual cooperation and respect. Is it an old school of thought that a wife is this fragile, volatile creature that requires stepping on eggshells and constant attention? Like a mid 20th century family sitcom? That seems awfully sexist in 2019.

My still-married parents are bordering on elderly, but my mother shared this with me years ago: It is not the responsibility of a husband to make a wife happy, and it is not the responsibility of a wife to make a husband happy. If you are not a happy person independently, you will not be happy in a marriage.

Also, I believe a marriage is a lot more healthy without unreasonable demands and ultimatums. Clearly you have to hold up your end of the bargain and meet your responsibilities in terms of housework, income, or whatever share of tasks you can equitably divide, depending on work schedules, health, and other factors. And you should make some time for your relationship aside from these responsibilities. But if cycling makes you happy, your wife should not demand that you give it up, assuming you are not neglecting your responsibilities or dropping everything on her.
I agree that each of us need to be happy with ourselves before being happy in a marriage. I can't make her happy and she can't make me happy. I believe in providing the atmosphere to allow one's happiness to flourish, but a spouse can't create their partner's happiness.

I don't think I've mentioned this, but I do contribute to housework and income. In fact, this has been reinforced by one of our daughters that has come back to live with us for three months due to extenuating circumstances. I find myself explaining to her that her mom is depressed and therefor not as active with her contributions to the house as she once was. Lately, I have been asking for more help from my wife. She has been mostly accepting of those requests.

I think one of, if not the biggest issue for us has been the difference of how much together time is needed by each of us. That's the balance that is elusive.