3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
No you don’t. Saddle height/fore/aft/cleats are adjusted first. Everything else is adjusted off that position. That becomes the known point where reach can be adjusted. If someone doesn’t understand how to set the saddle, moving the saddle to adjust reach fixes nothing. There is no known point, you are throwing darts.
...let's go back and read the original situation:

First the situation: I'm just under 6 feet tall ( 182 cm) in height and the bike is a 61 cm frame roadbike. I can stand barefooted on top of the toptube without issues but can feel my nether parts barely touching. With shoes I am a tad higher. The saddle is lowered all the way down and feels perfect in comparison to the paddles. The main problem is that while I can easily reach the handlebar while steering/ shifting/ braking, the position feels a bit over extended and I am definitely having slight extension of the shoulders as was described in you-tube videos
You seem to be stuck back in time, from when you worked in some bike shop somewhere, or raced crits, or something. This is not a conventional fitting situation, and limiting your assistance to absolutes based on what you read or learned somewhere probably won't help this person much.

Just an observation on your general impression thus far. You might be perfectly well intentioned, and you might have great expertise in this area of cycling. Your reliance on absolutes is a little off putting on first encounter.