Old 06-16-19, 06:58 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Vintage hubs on tubulars? Cut out the hubs?

I have reached the realization that I need to sell off some wheels "sets". I have maybe 20 sets of vintage. I say "sets" b/c some have mismatched rims. Nearly all are tubulars with 70s and 80s hubs. The market on CL for vintage stuff in my area is dead; very few buyers. The other options are here on Bike Forums and ebay. With the cost of shipping, I think demand would be weak. The hubs I have are low flange Campy Record (nuovo record(?) possibly) and Mavic. Many, or most, of the tubular rims are anonized that brownish color and show wear from breaking.
So, before I start cutting out hubs, what is the best way to approach to decide which are sellable as complete laced wheels, and which should have the hubs removed? I truly hate to wreck goods wheels, but if there is a very limited market for tubulars with rims that should wear (plus packaging and shipping) it seems like the only option is to remove the hubs. (FYI I am getting heat from Domestic Management to clean up the garage situation.)
Is there any interest/demand for tubulars from the 70s/80s, or do they need to be pristine, and therefore trying to sell them as complete/laced wheels is a pipe dream?

Last edited by vintagerando; 06-16-19 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling