Old 06-18-19, 08:16 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I keep having people I ride with tell me to do CX.
I'm totally in on CX, I find it fits my lifestyle and makes the fall super fun for me to race every weekend and mainly really close to home. I always saw myself as enjoying long road events, and I love going out on long rides, but the longer road races in New England take a while to drive to from my Boston suburb location, plus the time it takes to race. My town cycling group has super fit people who don't race and I can go get my butt kicked with them for 3hrs on the weekend.

I started CX to see what it was all about and was hooked immediately, it's a fun way to spend 40mins, it isn't demoralizing to be back of the pack since there's always a race within a race (fortunately I've improved to being upper half last year, best result near the end of year was 25th/70). I'm an odd one in that I raced all of last season and aside from the actual races, I spend zero time riding off-road (I don't have any type of off-road background either). Maybe I end up racing too conservatively as a result of my lack of practice, but I handle myself pretty well in CX (I've fallen less than 5 times in 2 years of racing). So, for me, CX training and racing works way better with my lifestyle, and hopefully after improving my staging points last season I can be in a better position to routinely be more competitive this year.