View Single Post
Old 10-01-16, 02:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
It's all about trade offs, and conditions. This might work for short rides with light winds. But I can see it becoming impractical for longer rides, or if it's windy or even just a bit warm.

Even in the most miserable, coldest November and winter rains, I've given up and adapted to wet legs. I do all I can to keep my torso warm, because that seems to have the biggest effect on me. I try to keep arms dry if it's really cold, but otherwise I don't worry about them.

As for the legs, I wear layers that offer some insulation even when wet, and find that they produce enough heat that I can live with them being cooled.

In fact, I've found that the key isn't to be dry, but to separate the warm water inside from the cold water outside.

Lastly keep in mind, that trench coats aren't designed to resist driving rain. When you ride, the rain blasts against your body driven by your speed (you hit the drops, instead of them hitting you), and I,m not sure a trench coat won't soak through pretty quickly, having ride not only wet, but weighed by a bulky sodden coat.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.