Old 12-20-18, 10:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I must disagree. I've owned two sets the Vittoria Hyper and used them until worn at about 2000 miles with no flats. This tire held up under my weight, I'm 220-240 lbs. I wouldn't recommend a lightweight tire for expedition type touring in remote regions, but for shorter tours using modern roads, a lightweight tire has some advantages.

Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Just bear in mind like many cycle product reviews what works for low weight or average weight riders can be the wrong product if you are a heavy rider. Some of the tyres can have thin weak sidewalls which is not an issue for lighter cyclists but can perish quickly for heavy riders and cause greater reliance on the innertube to keep the shape of the tyre leading to more frequent punctures. I've found many recommended tyres to be actually very poor often such reviews mention their lightness as a virtue which is often the thing to avoid for heavy riders. Touring can often bring cyclists effectively into the heavy weight rider class if the bike is hauling a lot of luggage weight. Remember those comfortable thin sidewalls that absorb road bumps well can be an instant puncture if those sidewalls pretty much collapse if you hit a pothole. Pot holes can often collect glass, nails etc and when the sidewalls collapse it's like hammering those bits of glass and nails into your tread. If you look at what tyres are used in Africa hauling huge weights on basic steel bikes along rough ground you won't find Continental or Schwalbe you'll find heavy thick tyres from companies like Kenda.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-20-18 at 11:07 AM.