View Single Post
Old 06-27-17, 09:16 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Is OP wanting to convert his hybrid to a dropbar? I'd advise against it, even though I've done a few conversions myself.
Why? Just curious. There are cheap ways to do it, or you can put a full modern road cockpit on. Brake only levers and bar-cons (or downtube shifters) are normally the cheap way to do a reasonable drop bar setup, especially on bikes with linear pull brakes.

I've got one where I spent all of $16.

Bike was free, I had an old set of bars that fit the quill stem, put cross levers on ($3 amazon), and a friction bar-con ($10 used at lbs) on the rear, locked the front on the centre chain ring with the limit screws, and wrapped the bar with old inner tube. Then I spent $25 on a set of used schwalbe marathon winter's, was my primary winter bike. I've got some drop brake levers now, but they're non-aero, so I won't be able to use the cross levers - I liked them for the winter. I'll either suck it up, find one with a suicide lever for one side, or use some TRP levers I have - just don't want to put them on that bike.

I've also done drop bars with vintage shimano exage levers on a fixie that came with a bmx style bar - one ride home into the wind on that riser bar was enough for me to change it. To be fair, I have a >10K stretch that is normally into the wind on my way home, open to the river. Most normal rides would be more manageable.