Old 06-28-17, 05:54 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Why? Just curious. There are cheap ways to do it, or you can put a full modern road cockpit on. Brake only levers and bar-cons (or downtube shifters) are normally the cheap way to do a reasonable drop bar setup, especially on bikes with linear pull brakes.
I should have clarified in my post. There are circumstances where it might make sense to convert a hybrid bike to a drop bar road bike:

1. Have extra parts on hand for the conversion--handlebars and shifters at a minimum. This is what I had to do with my Rapid. I bought them both. Didn't cost a lot, but still cost something. But on my other conversion, because the drivetrain was more MTB than road, I wanted a new drivetrain, so in addition to handlebar and shifters, I needed crankset, RD and FD, new cables and housing, saddle and wheels. OP doesn't have to do all this, of course.

If extra parts are not on hand, you'll have to scour the used market for parts.

2. Have tools on hand to do the conversion, especially if it is a comprehensive one. Tools are expensive and you might not know you need a particular one until you get to it.

3. Takes a bit of know-how and skill. Youtube is a great resource, but if this is your first time doing it, you might run into some challenges/frustrations.

4. And lastly, the geometry of the bike in question is similar to that of a road bike. In the end it might just be an upright hybrid bike with drop bars on it.

From the OP it sounds like he doesn't qualify for at least three out of the four criteria I listed.

I'm quite happy with both my conversions and do 75% of my commutes on the Rapid, despite having other pure road bikes, but mainly because it has fenders.

The other less-road-bike-like converted bike is my mule, outfitted with fenders, panniers, and 38 mm tires, and also my winter commuter with studs. I couldn't sell it for more than what I paid in converting it. More of a labour of love at the time.