View Single Post
Old 11-19-20, 08:28 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I was thinking about the balance between a camera case that is safe and one that is convenient. If it takes a lot to deploy one would probably be inclined to take fewer pictures. In that case (pun intended) I could see a handlebar bag being set up as a padded camera bag with some egg crate foam thick enough to cradle the camera. You lose the carrying capacity of the bag for other things but have a convenient location for deploy. . . . . . . . .
I also believe that fast and easy access to my camera is important. My wife and I carry our cameras in padded cases in our waterproof Ortlieb bar bags.

I made these open top, modular, padded cases to use in our bar bags. They can be sized to fit different camera and lens combinations. We both use Sony series 6000 cameras, but it will also work for DSLRs.

There are also times when I want to get my camera out fast or while riding without stopping. We don't use lens caps so the camera can be removed from the bar bag, turned on as it is taken from the padded case, and to the eye in a couple of seconds.

I saw this picture coming as I rode behind my wife. It would have been hard to get if we stopped and tried to set it up. I took out my camera, and was almost ready as we closed in on the older woman. I shot it while riding behind my wife, and came close to getting the picture I was looking for. We were riding from the airport into Copenhagen, DK on our start of a 2-month tour.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-19-20 at 08:46 PM.
Likes For Doug64: