Old 02-13-21, 05:14 PM
2Wheelforfun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mstateglfr - The subject wording of the post was more my reaction from a Trek retail bike shop - one that I had never spoken or dealt with. My post wording - my research took me to several sites that report on maritime shipping. In one of the articles, the U.S. Coast Guard mentions they are monitoring the situation. Whatever that is supposed to mean? More from this article, the shipping company reported that 1816 containers were lost, and 64 of them were believed to contain dangerous goods.

Who really knows the facts, but the only report I had was from a Trek dealer that some of that cargo was for Trek, and that all Trek bikes are made in Cambodia, but she did not seem very sure about the specific country.

Mack turtle - I had read that 2017 was last year that they did any manufacturing in Wisconsin.

However, I go to trekbikes.com, scroll to bottom of page, click Technology, then scroll to Made in the USA -

>>. Custom mold-making for Trek is done by a team of engineers run by Jay Thrane. The mold-making facility is run out of the original Trek red barn in Waterloo, the place where Dick Burke and Bevil Hogg started their company, and where thousands of steel bicycles were made in the 70s. Now in this old barn, molds are made that help make thousands of carbon frames.<<

>>Once the molds are shipped the mile or so west to the carbon lab, the magic black stuff can be cut and picked.<<

>>I often get asked: why does Trek continue to build frames here when the entire industry has moved offshore, including, to be honest, a good percentage of Trek frames? Why do we still have this factory? And my answer is always the same. You can’t build different products, better products, when you don’t completely understand the science. And the only way to understand the way frames and carbon structures really work is to build them yourself. Having our engineers cutting molds, laying in carbon, seeing their structures come to life is crucial to pushing designs forward. It is really expensive to build things here in this factory, but the products are better because of it.<<

Any more pertinent knowledge out there?