Old 02-25-21, 09:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8290 Post(s)
Liked 9,070 Times in 4,487 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Suppress does not mean to absolutely forget. In the context used, it means to put aside and as you indicated, understand that it is or may be necessary. One doesn't forget serious pain, but recognizes that it is survivable and while hopefully avoidable, it can be overcome. If it were otherwise, I'd never ride up a big hill again. 😁

I've torn my Achilles tendon, (I thought I had been shot in the calf when it happened and I actually looked to see if my calf was bleeding), and I remember immediately going down and eventually crawling to a light pole for assistance in getting to my feet. I'LL NEVER FORGET THAT MOMENT OR THE MONTHS OF THERAPY. Never-the-less, while the memory remains, it doesn't stop me now from full activity. I've suppressed, but not forgotten. (I've also had two root canals and a bike crash suffering three fractured ribs and a concussion...)

To wit...If you really want to test yourself and get in shape, skip cycling or extreme forms of exercise...try keeping up with 6 and 9 year old grandchildren for an afternoon in a park . If I dwelled on potential pain, I'd just be watching (and always turning around at the base of hills).

Be well.
I agree with much of what you say, except for the suppressing part. That was kinda my point, I don't find it necessary to forget or suppress the act of cycling. I like climbing, though I am too heavy to be great at it. Whatever discomfort there is about a tough climb is part of the experience. If I really didn't like it I wouldn't do it.

I did around 2000 club rides between the years 2000 and 2020, many of them hammerfests where I could barely hang on or got dropped. This is more painful than a casual climbing ride. It got to the point where I didn't enjoy it anymore and when covid hit, that was the end of it. I might not ever do those rides again, because I remember the struggling and I might have aged out.

Pain from injury is a different story. If I knew I was going to smash my toe every time I rode my motorcycle, I would have quit doing it long before I did.
Cycling can cause injury. We have to weigh the risk versus reward when we do it.

Last edited by big john; 02-25-21 at 09:33 PM.