Thread: Addiction LXXVI
View Single Post
Old 11-19-19, 06:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Once they are into wealth distribution (spendiing) rather than the earlier wealth accumulation (earning and saving), many folks find life insurance unnecessary. In fact either Mrs. rpen or myself will be better fixed financially if/when we find ourselves alone. Just a fact of life. I would urge folks with life insurance policies after retirement age to investigate the value of using them to provide more income while alive. Anyone who watches any cable news TV these days should know that policies can be sold for immediate income. One exception, of course, is when life insurance would replace a pension annuity when the insured dies. Complicated issues.
It's definitely nuanced, but my feeling is usually best strategy is save as best you can, buy inexpensive life insurance when you are young so that by the time you are my age (54) if something happens there is enough savings that you don't need the life insurance. I still have one policy active that I bought about 12 years ago, but it's going to go away in 2-3 years.