Old 07-23-19, 10:50 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I buy Rema patches and glue in bulk from Amazon. They have the small diameter patches, which work for 99% of punctures. I have 80 grit wet-or-dry paper for sanding, carry an old regular patch box for that stuff, and always have 2 tubes and a spare tire. Quickest patch job is to put on a new tube and tire and not even look for the damage on the road. Apologies to the OP, but I haven't had a patch failure in 25 years. I'm still on my first box of 100 Remas. I have a six patch limit on my tubes. I used to do bulk patch sessions at home, but now I only do onesies.

I'm frankly astonished at how few flats I've had in the past ~5 years. Roads are no better, but tires sure are. I think it's in the compound. Still, I take the 2 tubes and the patch kit. I have a friend who once had 8 flats on one pass climb, all from different causes. He's a 4 tube rider. My record is 4, but that was before I started carrying the tire. 2 of those were from the same piece of wire, and that was maybe 15 years ago on tires of back then. It used to be that we never went on a group ride where no one flatted. Now I can't remember the last group flat. Mechanicals are now more common.