View Single Post
Old 03-16-20, 02:07 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
That is a beautiful Cannondale. Your wheels are somewhat different than mine. They have their nipples at the hub instead of the rim. This is aerodynamically better. They also have a radial spoke pattern on the cassette side of the rear wheel. The spokes look to be very large, maybe 12-13 guage. These wheels should be pretty bulletproof. I thought of your accident when specing my tire size and went with 32mm tires. Very happy about that choice. That size tire grips the ground better than smaller tires and is more forgiving of riding and road problems. My rims could take much smaller tires but I view them as having less of an overall safety effect for the rider. You would have to research where to get such special spokes. Of course start at Shimano first. I just posted the fasted time in years on my Nishiki using platform pedals. I changed out from the SPD's. I going to try for a 15mph real world average speed for rides in the 10-15 mile distance. I'm holding at 14.5mph now so that is a leap but I think doable. I'm looking into more aerodynamically superior clothing and helmet also. The biggest aerodynamic drag on upright bicycles is the rider. California's governor has now mandated that 65+ yr old people have to stay at home. I believe I can keep on bicycling because I always ride alone or with my wife. They don't have any age police out there yet so I'm continuing to ride. Good thoughts, Good health.
Be safe out there, Spain and Italy have banned cycling. Except for professionals of course...

Spokes are tough to get, as these are 10 years or older wheels. In my old way of thinking, radial lacing isn't a strong wheel. But that is 30 year old thinking. Obviously, they are stronger than I expect. And yet the cLYDE IN MY IS CONTENT TO RIDE THEM INDOORS ONLY...