View Single Post
Old 10-19-19, 11:03 AM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Okay, new bike day for me too! After not riding for many years, the only bike I had left is a Trek 930 Singletrack from 1992. I recently had a full overhaul on it and put some new tires on it. Its fine for the woods but I found myself wanting a road bike again, or at least something other than a MTB for those longer rides on pavement.
So, I just bought a new hybrid 'road/path' bike. I didn't even know bikes like this existed; alum. frame, 27.5 wheels with all-purpose tires (1.95), front shocks, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, comfort saddle with sprung seat post, single chainring and a Shimano Nexus 8-spd internal gear hub.
I've always loved the geared hubs and once did a metric century on a 3-spd. before I had a legitimate road bike. That 3-spd Sturmey-Archer had a coaster brake in it so I added a front caliper brake to the bike, which otherwise was stripped and painted black. This was a very flat ride on the Colonial Parkway between Jamestown and Yorktown and back. I actually passed some guys on the way back because they were getting cramps for some reason.
I am really looking forward to getting this one and hitting the Capital City Trail between Richmond and Williamsburg. Its paved, off the highway and about 12' wide, mostly flat. And of course, I still have the Trek for the woods (minus the clips - I almost killed myself with those toe clips on my first actual trail ride - now using some older Shimano platforms that I had on my road bike many years ago.)

Likes For 1saxman: