View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 09:22 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
If you can find a Kinetic Road Machine non-smart version (although honestly, the smart version just adds their inexpensive in-ride sensor not really a true smart trainer.)...either-way, those are super durable and have a very nice ride feel. Pickup an inexpensive power meter, like a 4iiii Precision etc. and/or HRM and you will have a pretty solid setup to use with most training apps, Garmin or however you want to conduct your training.

I ride indoors a lot, mainly on Zwift, and last Christmas I broke down and bought myself a Kickr 18 and when it works yes, it's amazing, but a year later I'm about to receive a third (and final) warranty replacement unit and honestly in that respect it's been a bit of a let down, to say the least. Meanwhile my trusty Kinetic road machine keeps on trucking after 3-4 seasons heavy usage.
This was my path. I've been on mag trainers for years, but time to up my game so to speak. I just bought a used Kurt Kinetic for cheap, and added the iNride sensor. ON'y been on it a couple days and the difference is interesting. Going from the mag trainer to fluid alone is an eye opener. And getting the Kurt Kinetic, I may add the Power Control head next year for true Smart interactive use in Zwift and Rouvy.

Lots of good nearly unused trainers in the thrift stores, but not always what you were wanting...