Old 08-07-20, 10:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
A good map which shows backroads, trails and unmaintained roads or a Topo map is all that a person needs to navigate their way through unknown terrain. Google maps is good too... I have never used GPS because I find them annoying and confusing. A GPS doesn't guarantee that a person won't get lost and find their way out...30 years ago I was involved in wilderness survival and did a lot of trips into unknown terrain. The only thing we used back then was a topo map and compass and no other gimmicks...I've also ridden my bike through many unfamiliar areas that I have never been to before and I only used a paper map. Never got lost yet...Humans have been navigating their way around the world for thousands of years without any electronic gadgets and today people can't even take a short drive to their local Wallmart without being connected to their GPS or satellite.
However, you are connected enough to post almost 6,200 times to this forum alone. That's a lot of time you could be riding your bike, studying maps or doing some orienteering.