Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 12-19-18, 10:14 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Brother, I get the healthy for you selffishness. Do it, keep being selfish. Great job so far!!!

I hit 378 back in May. When I was more into riding, I was in the 220 to 230 range. But that was 20 years ago. Retired from the Navy 17 years ago and things just took off poorly for me after that.

I had a sleep study in June, proved I needed CPAP, couldn't have convinced me any other way. I even wear it for naps, I had over 108 events an hour where I quit breathing without the machine, average less than 2 per hour now with it. After some scary info from my cardiologist, yeah I'm 55 and needed one, It made my next decision easier. Diets and programs kept failing for me. I have knee and ankle issues kept me from walking enough to get exercise. I'm not a good enough swimmer for it to be a real workout. And I was so top heavy I was afraid I would tip over on the trainer. I chose weight loss surgery. Gastric Sleeve. Yes, I lost some weight before surgery, 22 pounds. I had that surgery 10/22. I am down 83 since May, 61 since surgery, and am currently 295 pounds. I have dropped from size 54 pants to 46. Nearly needed 5XLT shirts, now I am almost to 2XLT (just a bit snug still).My resting heart rate is back in the low 60s, I have recorded a couple times in the 50s. My exercise heart rate is 110 or so, just abrely above what WAS my resting heart rate just 9 weeks ago. My blood pressure is averaging 126/75 or so, and I am NOT on BP meds anymore. I breathe so much easier now, I had been retaining a lot of fluid and just didn't know it. I am 15 pounds from what my surgeon promised me to be at 6 months, I will beat that before my 3 month check up. I no longer have any specific weight goal. I want only to be healthy and more fit.

Fear is a powerful thing, and I never had fears until I crashed bad 7 years ago... So I have my work cut out for me. I need to get on that bike on the trainer. Needs servicing first. And go from there. I have sensors on it, to pair to my phone and a heart rate monitor for later as my fitness improves. I am happy to have support around me. Not just family, but friends and coworkers. I hope you find the support you need.

It is kind of fun being selfish...