Old 07-29-19, 06:48 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
It ended up being predictable in the end.
As in "The best climber with the best team won"?

I was only passingly interested in racing when Lemond won, so I can't compare this years tour to that year, but this was the most exciting Tour I've ever watched. Great performances from the sprinters, real battles in the mountains, an outstanding performance from Alaphilippe, weather uncertainty on the final two stages, and the unexpected departures of Wout van Aert and Thibaut Pinot all added real drama. Throw in the question of whether Thomas would have defended his title had he not had a couple of poorly timed crashes, and the first win by a (U23!) Columbian and it was a standout spectacle

I would have been perfectly happy to watch Froome and Dumoulin battle it out had they started, but this tour was much, much more exciting than that would have been.

I'll be intrigued to see how Ineos balances their old lions with the long term potential of Bernal. I suppose having three yellow jersey winners on one squad is a good problem to have, but it's asking a lot of Thomas and/or Froome to give up what could be their last opportunity for yellow for Bernal.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 07-29-19 at 01:28 PM.